Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Approach to Bullies

I had the fantastic idea to go on a playdate at some "kid friendly" playroom. My friends and I showed up to a crazy setting of children running wild and losing their minds. We found a nice quiet corner so that our babies could also play.

Well, fast forward 30 minutes...

Charlie and I are playing in a small corner with a ball from the ball pen when a 3-4 year old walks in our area picking up balls. He looks at Charlie and notices that he is holding one of the balls.

When the kid reaches for it, I tell him that my child is playing with it. He proceeds to take it out of Charlie's hand and walk away. In my teacher voice, I yell, "You should give that back because he was playing with it."

The kid looks at me and starts to walk away.

In my "Don't take stuff from my kid" voice, I yell, "Hey! You! Give it back now!"

The kid ran away with his friend.

I... was... furious!!!!!

I got up off the floor and started to go after the kid. Then I remembered my sweet baby on the floor and decided to scoop him up and walk off my anger.

Long story short... I won't take my kid back to that place until he's six or seven...

Not until I teach Charlie the following procedures for when a kid takes something from him:

1. Calm yourself down
2. Walk over (or run) to the kid and ask politely for your toy
3. If the kid gives it back, take it and say "thank you"

However....

4. If the kid refuses to give it back, push him down as hard as you can, scream "This is MY toy, punk!", take your toy, and WALK away
5. Come find me, and tell me what happened

and....

5. If the kid decides to fight you before you can tell me what happened, you better be ready and willing to whoop his arse!
6. When it is over, come find me, and tell me what happened

I will deal with the parents accordingly.

2 comments:

  1. "This is my toy, punk!" LOVES IT. Cyber high five.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Lisa at the ABC Nursery (near Sylvan and Cleveland) taught us to hit someone back if they hit you. You can teach kids to be zen and rational when they can form complete sentences. Until then, hit 'em back!

    ReplyDelete