Friday, October 5, 2012

Foodie- Spaghetti Squash Casserole

I joined Pinterest sometime over the summer and became a pinning maniac.  I pinned DIY projects, learning tools for my kid, housekeeping strategies, and (most importantly) food recipes! Even before I started pinning, I bought a spaghetti squash as part of my weight loss program (Weight Watchers).  I wanted to make the healthiest spaghetti possible- a noodle-less, 99% fat free turkey and tomato sauce extravaganza.  Well, I made the spaghetti but with whole wheat noodles instead. So... I was left with the squash... which sat on my kitchen counter for a few months until my husband demanded that I make it soon.  I whipped out my phone and searched for the recipes that I had pinned only to find that I didn't have the ingredients for any of them, but it had to get cooked so... 
  
I steamed it in the microwave, scooped out the squash, placed it in my mixing bowl, then thought over it for a while.  After consulting the internet, I pieced together about three different recipes for casseroles and came up with this...
 It's a dish of squash, spinach (found hiding in a dark corner of my freezer), mushrooms, onions, cheese (ricotta, parmesan, and mild cheddar), garlic, and salt.   It turned out pretty well, and we had so much that we ate off of it for a week. I don't think Zack really liked it (since he doesn't like anything that is "different"), but my co-worker loved it (she's more adventurous with her food). It took my a whopping hour and a half to make, but that is how long it takes me to make anything.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really tasty and healthy! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO good!! I pin so many yummy food recipes but rarely try making them! Ha. I need to get on the ball!

    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete