Saturday, September 18, 2010

The State of Exercise

I haven't been to the gym in about a week and a half. Not because I didn't want to go, but because I just didn't have the energy after such long and busy days.

I was resolved to going today for sure! What else would I be doing on a Saturday besides lying in the bed?

So...

I finally got up the "umph" to go around 11am, and this is how it went....

As soon as I walk into the gym, I run into my old trainer who just so happens to be standing and talking (loudly) at the front desk. He turns and sees me then LOUDLY welcomes me to the gym because he hasn't seen me "in 2 years."

I lower my voice so that he could get the hint that he is way too loud, but my efforts fail. He proceeds to ask me how I've been feeling then asks, "Are you menstrating?"

The girl behind the counter and I look at my obviously pregnant belly, and I say "Menstrating is definitely what I'm NOT doing." The girl laughs, and I frown.

He continues to correct what he meant to say but never quite gets it right... he went from menstrating to ovulating to dialating, to something else. I tuned out and interrupted his ramblings by asking questions about him. As he spoke, I inched away from him... but that resulted in him getting louder so that everyone could hear him.

At this point, I'm almost away!

I turn my back to walk away and almost made it, but not before he began belting out a verse from a John Legend song.

I hurry away... not looking back.

I make it to the treadmill and set my phone to play Beyonce... because B-Day is my ultimate workout album. The plan is to start slow and gradually increase until I'm at a 3.7... nothing new, nothing hard.

As I increase the speed to 3.0, I realize that my baby is either turning his/her position or has decided to walk with me... on the right side of my rib cage. The feeling is instantly uncomfortable and slightly painful.

I increase the speed to 3.3, and after about 45 seconds, I realize that my belly is going to jump off my torso and roll away, so I slow down.

Long story short... I had to press my palm into the right side of my belly to keep my comfort level decent, and I could not go faster than 2.5 (which is the equivalent to a walk in the park). I forced myself to go two miles, and that took 45 minutes.

I don't know if I've just gotten lazy, if I have painful gas throughout my stomach, or if my 'ear of corn' sized baby is running out of free space. But whatever it is, I don't think exercising is gonna get any easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment