Saturday, September 4, 2010

To Be Like God



We had our first ultrasound yesterday, and it was amazing! Even though I complained about not having one sooner, I think I was probably more amazing to see after waiting five months. You could actually see that it was a baby- with a head, a heart, a stomach, a brain, and a nose!

While sitting in the lobby waiting to be called, I felt and noticed my stomach move ever so slightly. The baby was kicking me (or possibly had the hiccups). I told Zack so that he could see it, but surely enough, he wasn't able to.

Then, we were called to the back and met the lady doing the ultrasound. I'll admit that I wasn't actually uber excited about the ultrasound, but I totally began to feel the "realness" when she turned out the lights and lubed my belly up with (surprisingly) warm jelly.

I became an absolute geek! This is my reaction:

Me: Zack! Zack, come stand next to me! Come now! You can't see it over there!
Z: Steph, I can see it from here.
Me: You're supposed to stand over here by my head! Come look at this screen!
Z: ok (hands in pocket, probably nervous)
Me: Are you excited?! I am! I didn't think I would be, but I am right now! I didn't get excited until she turned off the lights!
Z: (still looking at screen)
Me: Are you gonna cry?! I'm so excited!
Tech: (begins ultrasound) There you go!
Me: OMG!!! Zack, do you see your kid?!?! Look at that kid!!! Thats his head! Look at his belly!!! This is crazy!!!
Zack: (smiling)
Me: This is freakin crazy!

Just in case you didn't know this about me, I tend to talk a lot and very fast when I'm nervous or excited. There really is no middle ground... just "a lot and fast".

The baby opened and closed its mouth the entire time and also stuck its tongue out!!! Seriously, you could see his/her little baby tongue come out of its mouth and go back inside!!! Then his/her little hand covered its heart and made it look like s/he was saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

I will say that this ultrasound was THE MOST amazing experience EVER!!! To be able to see something that God has allowed my husband and I to create is probably the most fun I've ever had. To create something so unique and to know that it is now YOUR responsibility to care for it. To love something you don't even know yet so very much. I bet this is the closest feeling to being God and to know how He feels of us.

It truly is amazing!

1 comment:

  1. It truly is amazing and you guys are going to have the cutest little peanut ever! Pregnancy/birth truly makes you wonder how anyone can't believe in a higher power. I mean, the fact that we can create life and carry them in our bodies for 9 months, then push them out, and then are able to feed them from our bodies is truly freakin' amazing! I wouldn't trade being a woman for anything because being able to go through that is unreal!

    ReplyDelete