Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Whats in a Name?

I'm not quite sure of the answer to that question, but I do know that my husband and I are having a tough time coming up with boy names.

If we have a little princess, her name will be easy... Zoe Marie. The "Z" is in honor of Zack, and "Marie" is my mother's middle name. I adore the name "Marie" because it is so feminine and delicate... and doesn't hurt that the woman I love most in the world bears the name. It was a given that my daughter would be given that name.

Zack likes the name "Lola". I'm not crazy about it, but I don't hate it either. If we have a daughter, and I look into her face and see a "Lola" and not a "Zoe"... "Lola Marie" she will be.

*sigh*

But those darned boy names are KILLING me.....

Zack and I have totally opposite ideas on what are considered good, strong boy names.

My first pick is "Trevor"... I LOVE that name!!! As a matter of fact, there was this beautiful little boy in one of my classes with the name. He had the prettiest chocolate skin and he was as cute as a button! I would want my son to be like him. Another good thing about the name is that it is not common. Of all the students I've come across in these four years of teaching, I've only come across ONE "Trevor"...

I also like the following names: Tristan, Torion (my husband's middle name), Michael, Landon, and Cooper.

My husband doesn't like any of these. On his list, he has written names such as Brice, Cameron, Riley, Andrew, and Zachary.

I don't care for ANY of these as I have students with these names... and not just one student, but at least two (or three) students I know have these names.

I never knew that naming a child would be this difficult!!! Seriously! Its slightly torturous.

I might just grin and bear whatever name my husband comes up with... that way, if our kid happens not to like his name, I can proudly say, "Well, your dad named you! I would've given you a much cooler name."

3 comments:

  1. I vote against Cooper 'cause I don't wanna have to share a nickname.

    Just sayin... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... "booooo" to you, Coop! You will be happy to know that Zack can't stand last names for first names, so "Cooper" isn't even nearly an option. But I love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad we ended having a boy because we could never agree on a girl name. We went traditional for Dom's name...my family is Italian and Greg's family is English so we came up with Dominic Gage (I couldn't bear to name him Domenico!)I have Uncles named Giovanni and Giuseppe but I didn't want to cripple Dom with an unusual name since we obviously live in America *lol*

    The owner of the fitness studio I go to has 2 sons: Trevor and Domenic! I like both of those names! I never thought "Dominic" and it's variations would be popular enough for me to meet another one his age.

    I also think Zoe Marie is a BEAUTIFUL name. It just sounds so pretty and easy to yell that full name when your child is misbehaving ;)

    ReplyDelete