Thursday, September 27, 2012

To Grandma with Love

Dear Grandma,

I was driving to work this morning and realized that it was your birthday! And not only is it your birthday, it is your 100th birthday! This day is indeed special!  I continued driving to work wondering what I would do to celebrate you, and I figured that I'd write you a letter to let you know what has been happening in my life these last thirteen years.
 I went to college and received a Masters degree.  No, it is not the medical degree that I promised I'd get, but I've told mom and dad that maybe I'll go for a Ph.D later in life, and that is almost the same... almost. Instead, I am a teacher, and I love what I do!
 I got married.  I think you would like Zack. He tends to be very serious and is a great provider.  We had a nice wedding downtown, and all of the family came. We kept things simple.
 We later bought a house and had the most beautiful, little baby boy ever! We named him Charlie. Grandma, he is absolutely amazing, and I know that you would adore him. He is eager to learn, and he learns so fast! I tell him how great a grandmother you were and how mama shares the same love with him as you did with me. She is a fantastic grandmother, and Charlie loves her!  
The only difference between you and mama is that she doesn't make biscuits from scratch, nor does she make quilts by hand. She is, however, in the process of sewing together a Thomas the Train blanket for him. You'd be very proud of her. I know I am!
 I miss you so very much, and I thank you for being such a wonderful woman and matriarch.  I try so hard to have your patience and understanding.  I often (like, very often) fall short of that, but I try, and I know that one day, I'll finally have the same grace you exhibited. I love you. I love you. I love you. More than you ever knew... and I will love you forever.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your sweet comment about my grandbabyboy!! This post is DARLING! It is so thoughtful and I love how you made it like a letter to her (that she can read from heaven)or right over your shoulder! awh darling! You need to join other blog hops, friend! You need more people seeing your posts! So do I but ya, you need more people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, how sweet! What a beautiful post. My Great-Grandma is 101 and still going... I don't know how she does it!

    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so sweet! I'm pining for my grandmother now! I can't believe I don't know the year she was born!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is sweet. What a lovely lady to have for a grandmother. Happy celebration of her birthday for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so touching. **tear** I'm sure your grandmother is smiling down on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK I'm tearing up here. So heartfelt and beautifully written. I admire the respect and love you had and have for your wonderful grandma and family. Dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete