Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Labor and Delivery

In continuation of the last post...

I labored from right before lunch to 5:00pm, and I didn't dilate past five centimeters. At that time, I had tremendous pressure in my right hip, and turning on my left hip made it worst. It literally felt like someone was jarring off my right hip with a crowbar. All this even with the (useless) epidural.

When my doctor walked into my room and sat on her stool next to my bed, immediately told her I needed a c-section... She agreed.

At that moment, two or three other people came into the room and started prepping me for surgery. I was so tired that it didn't matter what they touched or saw of me. Next thing I knew, I had confirmed that I was numb from the chest down and was being wheeled to the OR.

As I was wheeled down the hallways, turning this way and that, I forced myself to stay awake... With inconsistent luck.

I opened my eyes and noticed the sterile room and all the people. I asked where my husband was.

They confirmed again that I was numb. I was hoisted onto the operating bed by a team.

A blue sheet was raised in front of my face. I heard my doctor's voice.

I willed myself to stay awake. I saw Zack standing at my head.

The doctors were talking about things non-surgery related like vacation, working at other hospitals, and their families. I thought that all these snapshots of my c-section were not at all like what I'd seen on Special Delivery and The Baby Story.

I was told that I'd feel pressure and like I couldn't breathe. I "held my breath".

I doze off for the hundredth time.

I heard them ask, "Daddy, what is it?!"

I woke up knowing that this was a huge moment and that I'd beat myself up forever if I missed it.

I looked over my shoulder at Zack. He smiled and said, "A boy!!!" I smile.

The screen faded to black.

I woke up after some unknown amount of time and realized I hadn't heard my son cry. I asked why he wasn't crying and where he was.

Someone placed a bundled baby in my face and said, "here's your son! You can kiss him." I kissed his forehead; they took him away.

They wheeled me to the recovery room.

I am so glad that I could stay awake to experience those snapshots of my son's birth!

1 comment:

  1. I am JUST now reading your blog. I suck, I know. I can't believe you were updating *in the hospital*. I am going to strive for that kind of dedication when I have my next baby :). I would love to be able to read what I was thinking during labor. But then again, I will be so delusional with the pain - who knows what I would write!

    ReplyDelete