Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dilemma






























What do you notice about the way Chipmunk sleeps?

He sleeps on his belly... ALWAYS!!! Because his little arms and legs flail everywhere!

Initially we had the fear that he would suffocate after reading all the SIDS literature, but then we spoke to his doctor who told us to lay him down to sleep whichever way he wants. At the beginning of it all, Zack and I would take shifts watching him sleep on his belly because we didn't know what else to do. After that convo with the doctor, we decided that we would use all other SIDS preventative measures and lay him down on his stomach.

Well now, he is about to enter daycare, and they (by standards of the state licensing agency) can only lay him on his back. They told me to see if the doctor would write a note stating that Chipmunk could sleep on his belly, but he refused and stated that he would write a letter for him to be swaddled (which is also against state regulations) during nap time.

When I heard that the doctor would not agree for him to sleep on his belly, I immediately went into action trying to come up with a plan as to how I was gonna get my baby to sleep on his back. I couldn't think of anything. I cried. I cried for 15 minutes in between frantic calls to my mother.

I called the daycare center to see if they had any suggestion, and after giving me one suggestion (putting a blanket around his head to make him feel secure) seen here...

the lady told me "He's just gonna have to get used to it. I'm sorry."

I'm generally tough with my students and their parents because I want the kids to reach their full potential and not be hindered by their parents treating them like "babies", but when I heard that lady tell me that my sweet boy would have to "get used to it", I became furious.

I got off the phone and called my mother. I cried.

My mother put me back on track by confirming that Chipmunk would simply... have to get used to it and I would have to teach him to sleep on his back as best I can.

So where is he now???

Sleeping in the pack-n-play.....

on his belly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment