Thursday, December 16, 2010

10 months...

Most people who haven't been pregnant don't realize that a full term pregnancy (from missed period to expected due date) is 40 weeks. I always thought pregnancy was 9 months... And it is... But it's nine completed months which brings you to ten months.

I remember a month ago when my "know-it-all" husband and I were in the La-Z-Boy store selecting the recliner my parents so sweetly arranged to buy for me (please note that I have the absolute best parents in the entire world) because I was sleeping on the sofa. Actually, I wasn't sleeping on the sofa; I was breathing through Braxton Hicks contractions, nursing round ligament pains, and running back and forth to the bathroom with the bubble guts, and I was getting about two hours of catnaps in between all that.

Anyway, we were at the store and Laura, the appointed sales associate, asked how far along I was in my pregnancy. I told her that I had just begun my eighth month. At that moment, my husband who should write a book about all he knows reminded me that I was only seven months. I turned to him then turned back to Laura and said, "Well, I'm actually 32 weeks." Then I turned back to my husband and said, "and 32 weeks divided by 4 weeks in a month is what? Yes, eight months. I know how pregnant I am." In the car, he informed me that pregnancy only lasts nine months and that we still had two months to go so that I couldn't be eight months.

Long story short, I was finally able to convince him that a full term pregnancy lasted 10 months. And he was totally sold on the idea after hearing Kim on Housewives of Atlanta, who declared that she had been to school to be a nurse, state that a full pregnancy lasted 10 months... How bout that!

Well, now, my husband who is now well informed on the length of pregnancy knows that we have started our ninth month and that our (recently, extremely active) baby will be considered full term next Wednesday. The nursery is done, the baby clothes are all washed, we have taken the hospital tour, both cars have been equipped with the car seat bases, we go to the doctor for the vaginal exam tomorrow to heck for dilation and effacement, and the hospital bag is packed. Now, we're just siting back waiting for our little babe to start his or her trip home.

I tell you... Nine months fly by!!! I can't believe it's almost time!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! That is exactly what I was saying when I realized it was 40 weeks! But my mom explained that a month is actually a little less than 4.5 weeks so if you count the actual months: aug, sept... ect, it will only be 9 months...

    ReplyDelete