Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Suimsuits and $H!%

I LOVE shopping... like, I adore it! Spending my money on clothes I will (or won't) wear is my favorite thing to do when I'm not with my kid. BUT... the one thing I despise shopping for is a swimsuit. I haven't purchased a swimsuit since I got married five years ago, and I wouldn't have spent the time buying one now except for the one that I'd been wearing had lost most of its elasticity, so my boobs were somewhere near my belly button, and the whole thing just looked like crap. I used it for one last time about a week ago, and after seeing myself in pictures, I threw it away upon walking into the house. I walked to my bedroom wrapped in a towel cussing myself (and my husband) for getting pictures of be below my neck. I resolved to taking the kid to the pool in a sports bra and biking shorts and a cover up... but then I realized that a friend of ours is having a pool party for her little girl this Saturday, and my current idea of a swimsuit would totally be inappropriate around anyone other than family. So.... I went on my own to search for a cheap suit because I refuse to spend regular price on anything. Needless to say, Target had been picked clean through and there was no way I was going to buy something that belonged to a 15 year old. While I was out with my boys at the mall yesterday picking up a gift, I decided that I also should go to Macys and see if I could find something to wear to this party. My expectations were low. While I searched the racks and turned my nose up at everything, my husband made the tragic comment of "Just pick something... You just need something to get in the water!" I turned with fire in my eyes and yelled, "It IS NOT something just to get in the water! You don't understand what I'm going through! I'll come back on my own because this is all bull!!!" I think he walked away with the kid and mumbled that we weren't leaving until I found something. I. was. on. fire!!! I tried on a bikini and decided that my mom gut would not let me look as great as I needed to look, so I yanked it off and put it back on the return rack. I decided that I must get a one piece but that it cannot be a halter like the one I just threw away (this decision decreases my chances of being able to successfully find something by like 90%!!!). Anywhoo... after about an hour, I found two that worked very well for me. One is by Tommy Hilfiger and looks like this
and the other is a black and white strapless (but comes with straps) little number with ruffly things down the front. When I got to the register, I slammed them on the counter and the associate smiled and said, "So, I see you were able to find something." I answered by telling her how much I loathe shopping for swimsuits because your never quite look the way you imagine in your mind. She agreed and mentioned that all the women who enter those fitting rooms come out with the same defeated feeling. But its all good for me... because I won't be buying another swimsuit for five years!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the misery of swimsuit shopping. I feel your pain. I had my meltdown last year.

    I like the one above. It's very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mission accomplished! Swimsuit shopping is super hard- good job for sticking it out and getting TWO things! Those will probably last you longer than five years!
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete