Saturday, July 7, 2012

Thrifting at Thirty

I have always enjoyed being a frugal shopper. Like seriously... when I was a teenager and I'd get money for some holiday or event, I couldn't wait to take my bucks to Lenoxx mall via the MARTA train and splurge on some clearance items. I'd buy crap I had no use for and stuff I'd never wear just because I got a great deal on it. Needless to say... nothing has changed *sigh* Before and after I had my kid, I'd spend hours (HOURS) on the Loft and Ann Taylor websites during quarterly season sales trying to get an extra 50% off as many clearance items as possible... sometimes I'd "win", and sometimes I'd only get a few items. Long story short... I spent an unnecessary (or very necessary) amount of money on clothes I "needed". I guess this type of shopping can be considered a hobby (because I will not allow for myself to be called an addict). I loved sitting down on my bed with a calculator and tallying up the original prices of all my purchased items and comparing that cost with what I actually paid. The equivalent of this, I suppose, is those people who do extreme couponing... although, in my case, it wasn't extreme because I wasn't saving any more money than anyone else (but who cares). Well, recently (since April) I've gotten into thrifting for my clothes. I absolutely LOVE shopping at thrift stores for great stuff that cost me less than a chicken sandwich. Ever since the Goodwill opened up the street (literally in walking distance!), I've gone thrifting twice a week (and sometimes every day). There are five Goodwills in a 20 minute radius AND a Salvation Army! I've been to these stores so many times that I've just about created relationships with the sales associates. My kid has become a little rock star at our neighborhood Goodwill.
As a part of my blog, I'm going to start posting thrifted outfits because I'm super proud of my wonderful finds! Stay tuned... I'm so excited!!!

4 comments:

  1. That is so great! I am so terrible at thrifting. There really isn't a great place to thrift here.

    Amy


    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you live? I have to admit that it takes practice, but I'm sure you'd be able to find something that works for you... Although you might have to be a little adventurous and expand your "style".

      Delete
  2. yay! can't wait!

    Lindsey Turner
    http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ysy!

    Lindsey Turner
    http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete