Sunday, January 17, 2010

Just Like New Shoes

Z and I have been sleeping in separate rooms for about two weeks. Not by choice, but by necessity.

The bed in our room just so happens to be about 10 years old, and Zack can't sleep on it. He wakes up several times during the night because his back aches so bad. I suggested that we try sleeping on the new bed in the guest room to see if it the problem is our mattress or something else. Of course, the guest room mattress is perfect for him.

But it is hella uncomfortable for me, so I decided to remain sleeping in our bed on the old mattress.

I was talking to my mom on the phone the other day about how we were sleeping in separate rooms, and she (as I can imagine) starts pointing and shaking that disapproving mom finger. "Now Nikki... you KNOW you need to get a new bed."

Later that day and after taking a scolding from mama, Zack and I go out in search for a new mattress set. (thank goodness the Mattress Firm was having a sale)

We walk into the store and get the introduction from our sales associate and bed expert, Paula. She takes us over to the high-tech bed fitter machine so that we can find out which type of mattress works for us.

The results are plush for me and somewhat firm for Zack.

yep... almost completely on opposite ends of the mattress spectrum.

Long story short... I ended up taking one for the team and agreed to purchase a Simmons that is more firm than plush... but actually pretty comfy.

Paula informs us that buying a mattress is like buying new shoes... "It will take some time to break it in."

She told us that the bed we laid on had been on the storeroom floor for 6 months and had "relaxed", and that our new bed will be stiffer.

She was ABSOLUTELY right... They delivered the new bed the next day and I was unable to sleep on it because it was too firm. I will keep it for the 30 days she suggested and hope that it becomes like its sister bed back at the store. I ended up waking up at 2am and going downstairs to watch recorded shows on the DVR.

I was super thankful that, just two days before, I'd scheduled a couples' massage session for today. What a treat to work out that sleepless night I had! The massage has at least given me the energy to blog while Zack is knocked out behind me on the bed... can you hear him snoring?!?!

2 comments:

  1. We have a waterbed, which was fine for both of us until the end of my pregnancy. At that point, I slept best on our futon, which has a pretty firm mattress, not what I would typically like but it was a dream come true at that point! Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably like a water bed but I get motion sickness :-(

    ReplyDelete