Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Not-So-Easy Maxi Dress (Pinterest Project #1)

I went to JoAnn's fabric store last week to get materials for a maxi dress I found on Pinterest. I went into this project with all intentions of learning how to sew and being an amazing seamstress... *sigh* Lets start with this picture...
I got out these materials and handed them to my mom... then I noticed that the freaking shirt looked like it had been washed in bleach or something! Some of the shirt was yellow and some was the original mint green color. I was dumbfounded!!! So... I decided the best thing to do was drown the rest of the shirt in clorox and water. This evened out the color and made the shirt usable for my project.
Everything was going well until mama got to the elastic thread (which seemed to be a problem for EVERYONE trying to make this "oh so easy" maxi dress). The skirt is supposed to ruffle up with the elastic thread, but apparently not all machines are equipped to use it correctly. The last update this woman posted on her blog stated that some people would need to take apart some part of the machine (but a visit to a technician is recommended) to tighten some screw...
My idea of screw was "Screw the chick who said this was the "easiest dress ever" and screw this stupid maxi dress project!" So.... mama (who was super calm and unaffected by all the mishaps) and I (who couldn't stop cussing and fussing because my hopes of being a project runway star were fast moving down the drain) moved on to something else.
Mama was able to turn this dress and shirt into this really cool dress after we followed the original instructions for the dress (side note: the directions we followed first were modified from the one that actually worked for us).
She was also able to turn this...
Into this...
I didn't do any of the work besides trying to make a necklace out of my mom's scraps...
yeah... so... it tanked like the Titanic, and what does my sweet mother do? She says "Don't worry about it! I'll try to do something with it and have it ready for you next weekend... Maybe a bracelet or something" She is so amazing! I wish I had her patience and understanding.

5 comments:

  1. I love BOTH dresses!!!!!!!!! She did a great job, and you look awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady!
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dresses turned out great after all. Neither my mom or I can see so I'm sure we would have had an even worse experience :) haha

    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) yeah... I can see how not being able to "see" would cause a problem!-lol... sewing is definitely something that takes practice.

      Delete